Monday, March 2, 2009

Manga Update: New Princess Ai Trilogy!

So I'm working on my first review (Revolutionary Girl Utena), so I'll update soon (hopefully...) but when taking a trip to the manga/anime store I found this wonderful suprise hiding in the bookshelves - a new Princess Ai trilogy! I haven't gotten to talk about Princess Ai yet (or anything else for that matter...), but I thought the original series had a spunky 'i'm a woman and I take no shit' heroine, who respected herself and her body enough not to sell herself (although some of the clothes are pretty revealing...but most of them are really cool). In this trilogy, the Second Revolution has occured in Ai-land now humans and dougen (angels) live together. However, all is not peaceful, as an energy crisis occurs and discrimination continues. When the Prism of Midnight Dawn, a powerful object that allows for connections to be made between different worlds (and who knows what other powers it posseses), disapears, Ai returns to Earth in order to find out what happened. However, music on Earth has changed...for the worse...

I don't know what to think about this series yet and I'm going to reserve my judgement until it's finished, but so far, there are some points I'm cheering Ai on and at others I'm a little disappointed... I haven't read the original series in a few years, so my opinion could possibly have changed since then, but so far my impression is that Ai is not as rebellous and independent as she was before. DJ Milky isn't the writer for this (and I don't think Courtney Love had as much say as in the last one - as crazy as she is, you have to contribute Ai's indpendence and rebellousness to her), hence why the characters seem a little different. But despite my hesitence (didn't I say I was going to save my judgement until its over?...whoops), I recomend it to anyone who was a Princess Ai fan as an awesome continuation of an awesome series. And those who haven't read any of the series yet, I hightly recommend checking out the original trilogy.

No comments:

Post a Comment